Wednesday 31 January 2007

Big preschooler :)

Making his packed lunch (cheese, carrot and cucumber sandwich)

Wrapping the packed lunch to go into "Cars" lunch box


Dressed and ready to go :)

So today was the big day and Mitchell was very excited. Had slight doubts about picking the afternoon slot when I heard "me want to go preschool now!!" from about 8am, but I think the afternoon slot will still be better overall for us, so we can still do our thing in the morning, we have fun shopping together...

Mitchell took above sandwich, plus an apple and a muesli bar, which was plenty considering it's only 3 hours (as it turns out only 2.75, seeing as they told us to pick the kids up at 2:30 when I thought it was 2:45)... So Michael came home and the 3 of us drove to the preschool. A bit crazy, with the way the streets are designed here, lots of cul de sacs and whatnot, it took 5 minutes by car - I think in the dry season we will ride our bikes because that will only take 5 minutes too as we can pretty much ride the direct route. We got there and met his teacher. Everything is coded so the kids can find their own flannel and locker, etc and Mitchell's is an octopus. So we found his flannel and then found his locker, put his backpack away and his lunch and drink in the fridge.

While I was talking to the teacher about a bit of admin stuff Michael and Mitchell had a bit of a look and a play outside. Then we went up to Mitchell and told him we were going now, had a fleeting second where we thought he might protest but then he just said "okay" and kept playing. So Michael gave him a kiss and hug seeing as he won't see him until tomorrow now and I told I'd see him at 2:30.

It felt weird walking away, not bad or anything, just weird. Aside from a few rare times with grandparents and once with Uncle Justin, Mitchell has always been with one of us, so it just felt a bit strange, but we knew he'd be fine. And he was...

I arrived to pick him up at 2:30 and I was the 3rd to last parent to arrive and one of the other kids was in tears because her Mum wasn't there but Mitchell was walking around as though he owned the place :) He saw me, said Hi and immediately said, "I like my preschool" and then, "buy my t-shirt now please Mum"... Mitchell wasn't impressed to find out that preschoolers didn't have a uniform because he wanted to wear school clothes like all the other school kids, but luckily the preschool does have t-shirts, so he's pretty happy with that. So we got him 3 t-shirts in purple, blue and red and a yellow preschool hat.

I asked him if he made any friends as that's something he's always talking about. He said no, but apparently he has enough friends now... As we were walking away, he said again that he likes his preschool and he wants to go back every day so I guess he does like it :) He was pretty tired and in the car I got told off for asking him too many questions and he said he didn't want me to talk about it any more, so I took the hint and left it at that. As long as he's happy it's all good. When we got home I offered him a drink and he said "you have to say do you want a drink preschooler?" Too cute...

He eventually fell asleep at 6:15 so a very big day for the boy. He's very excited about going back tomorrow in his school top and school hat, so we'll have to take a couple more photos then. He's wearing the blue one tomorrow - he's already told the teacher that :)

No comments: